WP7 Ethics, Legal and Societal Issues
The general objective of WP7 consists in the development of a harmonised, agreed and realisable ethical, legal and social framework for the establishment and operation of a European sequencing and genotyping infrastructure. We will propose strategies to implement the framework in practice. We will specifically:
- Oversee ethical and corresponding legal and social aspects (ELSI) in setting up and operationalising the infrastructure. This especially concerns biological samples and data management (tasks of WP4 and WP5).
- Organise the necessary procedures and templates to assess from the ethical and legal point of view the transnational project proposals submitted to the facility.
- Provide an information resource on those issues with web access for professionals and the public in relation with WP6.
- Establish synergy with ELSI work of other relevant EU projects and infrastructures (e.g. BBMRI and ELIXIR).
- Provide material for training in the domain of ELSI for WP6.
- Explore ethical issues related to availability and sharing of data from emerging high throughput genomics technologies as these evolve (for example in the frame of WP10).
- Encourage the debate on societal aspects of high throughput sequencing technologies.
- Deliver proposals for long term sustainability of the ethical framework of the infrastructure.
Dr. Anne Cambon-Thomsen, INSERM Toulouse (FR)